This site uses cookies. By continuing visiting this site, you agree to their use.
To find out more, including how to control cookies, see our privacy policy.

 
 
Monumentum

Mitreo del Campidoglio «lo perso»

This temple of Mithras on the north side of the Capitoline Hill in Rome no longer exists.
 
 
PublishedMithraeum.eu
20 May 2007
Updated on 16 Jan 2022
 
  • Mithras killing the bull (c. 150 CE; Louvre-Lens)

    Mithras killing the bull (c. 150 CE; Louvre-Lens)
    Serge Ottaviani 

  • Grabado incluido en la obra dedicada al relieve de Villa Borghese de Lajard

    Grabado incluido en la obra dedicada al relieve de Villa Borghese de Lajard
    The New Mithraeum / Andreu Abuín (CC BY-SA) 

  •  

  • Unknown 

 

The full article is reserved for our members.

Log in or create a free account to access the entire site.

In the Northern part of the Capitoline-hill, near the present Church of S. Maria d'Aracoeli, there was at the time of Cyriacus from Ancona (born 1391) a Mithraeum called 'lo perso'. Smetius visited it in 1550, but when Montfaucon arrived in Rome (1594) it had already been destroyed for some time. A manuscript from about 1600, which belonged to Lanciani and now lies in the Library of the Italian archaeological Institute (No. 124/227 ed. Mariani) gives further details about this sanctuary.
 
 

Related monuments

Tauroctony of the Villa Borghese

This relief of Mithras slaying the bull was erected in Piazza del Campidoglio, moved to Villa Borghese and is now in the Louvre Museum.

 

Mithraeum.eu is powered by Enkidū