Mitreo del Circo Massimo

The Mithraeum of the Circus Maximus was discovered in 1931 during work carried out to create a storage area for the scenes and costumes of the Opera House within the Museums of Rome building.
17 May 2007
Updated on 29 Jan 2022




  • Plaque with inscription of Aelius Urbanus

    Plaque with inscription of Aelius Urbanus
    Csaba Szabo 


The full article is reserved for our members.

Log in or create a free account to access the entire site.

The vast ancient complex was located a short distance from the short side of the Circus Maximus, where the departure cages for the chariots (carceres) were. In the 3rd century AD, on the ground floor of this complex, a mithraeum was adapted, a place of worship dedicated to the god Mithras, consisting of a series of communicating rooms, covered by barrel vaults.

In the first of these is a room interpreted as a kind of sacristy (apparitorium).

Related monuments

Tauroctony of Circo Massimo

This remarkable marble relief from the end of the 3rd century was discovered in the most remote room of the Mithraeum in the Circo Massimo.

Marble slab with inscription of Aelius Urbanus

The Mithraic fellow P. Aelius Urbanus mentions that he built the sacred area of the Mithraeum Circo Massimo.

Fragments of plaque from Circo Massimo

The inscription mentions the Pater Cossio Atiano. is powered by Enkidū