Monumentum

Tauroctony of Circo Massimo

This remarkable marble relief from the end of the 3rd century was discovered in the most remote room of the Mithraeum in the Circo Massimo.
 
 
PublishedMithraeum.eu
25 Apr 2010
Updated on 29 Jan 2022
 
 

The full article is reserved for our members.

Log in or create a free account to access the entire site.

White marble relief found in the hindmost room of the Mithraeum in 1931. End of the third century.

The relief must have stood in a corner against the wall on a pedestal, as is clear from holes in the lower rim and in the back and moreover from a decoration only on the left and upper border.

Mithras in tunica manicata and flying cloak is slaying the bull, whose tail ends in one great ear. On the point of the Phrygian cap a star; four more stars are visible to the right of the god's head.
 
 

Related monuments

Mitreo del Circo Massimo

The Mithraeum of the Circus Maximus was discovered in 1931 during work carried out to create a storage area for the scenes and costumes of the Opera House within the Museums of Rome building.

Marble slab with inscription of Aelius Urbanus

The Mithraic fellow P. Aelius Urbanus mentions that he built the sacred area of the Mithraeum Circo Massimo.

Fragments of plaque from Circo Massimo

The inscription mentions the Pater Cossio Atiano.

 

Mithraeum.eu is powered by Enkidū