The New Mithraeum
17 Jan 2022
This cantharus was discovered in 1917 during archaeological excavations undertaken at the riverbank near St. Matthias's Abbey, in the southern sector of Augusta Treverorum, in the province of Gallia Belgica. Formed with two handles and a narrow foot, this drinking vessel features a painted decor of white barbotine which forms four horizontal bands of alternating dots and arrows. On the large neck runs a painted dedication addressed to the invincible god (Deo invicto), Mithras.