The New Mithraeum
11 Sep 2023
The vilicus Velox inscription, engraved on a marble slab, was first reported in 1720, when it was housed in the Casa Bertoli in Aquileia. No mithraeum has yet been discovered at the site, but the large number of Mithraic monuments and inscriptions found at various points in and around the city, particularly near the port, suggests that more than one mithraeum was operating there.
CIL V 810; TMMM2 (Inscr. 175); CIMRM 747; Brusin 1991 (pp. 152-3); Lettich 2003 (pp. 22-3); Hirt 2010 (p. 284); Zaccaria 2017 (p. 192); EDR116886 (F. Mainardis).