On the Esquiline, where in Antiquity the Imperial gardens were situated (actually Piazza Dante), the following four Mithraic representations were found. They lay in a room (L. 20.00 Br. 6.00), perhaps a Mithraeum, and were carefully covered by tiles. The room has a floor covering of white mosaic and was formerly arched.
In March 1874 an area of the Esquiline hill in Rome was being landscaped in preparation to create the area now known as the Pizza Dante.