This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience.
Find out more on how we use cookies in our privacy policy.

 
 
Monumentum

Mitreo del Circo Massimo

The Mithraeum of the Circus Maximus was discovered in 1931 during work carried out to create a storage area for the scenes and costumes of the Opera House within the Museums of Rome building.
  •  

  •  

  •  

  •  

  • Plaque with inscription of Aelius Urbanus

    Plaque with inscription of Aelius Urbanus
    Csaba Szabo 

  • Small tauroctony of Circo Massimo

    Small tauroctony of Circo Massimo
    CIMRM 

 
 
The New Mithraeum
17 May 2007
Updated on Nov 2022
 

The full article is reserved for our members.

Log in or create a free account to access the entire site.

When in 1932 a wing of the Palazzo dei Musei di Roma was rebuilt into a warehouse for the Teatro dell'Opera, considerable remnants of a Roman public building were discovered, a part of which was made to a Mithraeum in the second half of the third century. The finds are kept on the spot or in the Antiquario.

By a corridor one enters the sanctuary, which has been constructed in a number of adjacent rooms. First of all one reaches the paved rooms C and F, which by a door are connected with the rooms A and B. Next to C, separated from it by a wall, and connected by a door, lies room E, which

Related monuments

Tauroctony of Circo Massimo

This remarkable marble relief from the end of the 3rd century was discovered in the most remote room of the Mithraeum in the Circo Massimo.

Marble slab with inscription of Aelius Urbanus

The Mithraic fellow P. Aelius Urbanus mentions that he built the sacred area of the Mithraeum Circo Massimo.

Fragments of plaque from Circo Massimo

The inscription mentions the Pater Cossio Atiano.

Tauroctony of Circo Massimo

This marble relief depicting Mithras as a bull slayer was found in the back room of the Mithraeum of the Circus Maximus.