The New Mithraeum
3 Sep 2023
On the Caelius a Mithraeum seems to have existed on the spot where nowadays the Piazza della Navicella is situated, or in its immediate surroundings (cf. Colini, Storia Celio, 48). Here in May 1555 the two following monuments were discovered, dug up by Girolamo Altieri in area Divae Mariae semper Virginis in Coelio monte cognomento in Domnica (cf. B. Aegius in a note to the Bibliotheca of Apollodorus, f. 1,2.1; .see CIL VI 81).
These monuments were transported to the Palazzo Altieri al Gesù, and were copied here by Pighius (Bibl. Berl. ms. lat. A 61 f.