Brothers active in Poetovio
Mithraic monuments of Poetovio
Mithraeum III in Ptuj was built in two periods: the original walls were made of pebbles, while the extension of a later period was made of brick.
The Mithraeum I of Ptuj contains the foundation, altars, reliefs and cult imagery found in it.
The sculpture includes a serpent climbing the rock from which Mithras is born.
Mithraeum II was found at Ptuj at a distance of 20 m south of the Mithraeum I in 1901.
Cautes and Cautopates attend the birth of Mithras from the rock in the Petrogenia of the third Mithraeum of Ptuj.
The altar of Ptuj depicts Mithras and Sol on the front and the water miracle on the right side.
This marble relief was found in a Mithraeum in Ptuj.
The sculpture of Mithras carrying the bull includes an inscription on its base.
Several Mithraic scenes, including Mithras with Saturn, Mithras with Sol and Mithras' Ascension, are depicted on this fragment of a relief from Ptuj.
This altar from Ptuj, present-day Poetovio, is decorated with various Mithraic animals such as a tortoise, a cock and a crow and other objects.
Remarkable fragmentary sculpture of Mithras slaying the bull on an inscribed altar found in Mithraeum III at Ptuj.
Part of the finds from the fifth Mithraeum of Ptuj is kept in the Hotel Mitra in the modern city.
A certain Hermanio has been identified in the dedication of several monuments in different cities in Dacia and even in Rome.
This inscription belongs to the 4th mithraeum found in the modern town of Ptuj.
These fragments of a cult relief of Mithras were found at the Mithraeum II of Ptuj, Slovenia.
This altar, found in the 3rd mithraeum of Ptuj, bears an inscription and a relief of Sol and a person with a cornucopia.
Inscriptions of Poetovio
- Visit Ptuj (2020) Mithras shrines. Mithraeum I and III
- Mithras Shrine I Mithras shrine III – Regional Museum of Ptuj
- Attilio Mastrocinque (2017) The Mysteries of Mithras. A different account
- Gabriel Simeoni (2023) The Father of Mithras
- Bricault; Roy (2021) Les cultes de Mithra dans l'Empire Romain
- Epigraphic Database Heidelberg. Mithras taurophorus of Ptuj in EDH
- Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss / Slaby. Mithras taurophorus of Ptuj in EDCS
- Epigraphic Database Heidelberg. Altar with inscription and symbolic figures from Ptuj in EDH
- Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss / Slaby. Altar with inscription and symbolic figures from Ptuj in EDCS
- Lupa.at (2020) Altar für Mithras und Transitus
- Epigraphic Database Heidelberg. Tauroctony on altar of Ptuj in EDH
- Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss / Slaby. Tauroctony on altar of Ptuj in EDCS
- Ubi Erat Lupa (2020) Weihung für Mithras
- Hotel Mitra
- Szabó Csaba (2022) Mithraeum I, III and V in Poetovio (Ptuj, Slovenia)
- Epigraphic Database Heidelberg. Altar by Hermanio of Poetovio in EDH
- Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss / Slaby. Altar by Hermanio of Poetovio in EDCS
- István Tóth (1992) A Dacian 'Apostle' of the cult of Mithras?
- Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss / Slaby. Inscription of Aurelius Iustinianus from Ptuj in EDCS
- Epigraphic Database Heidelberg. Altar with Sol from Ptuj in EDH
- Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss / Slaby. Altar with Sol from Ptuj in EDCS